The only incorporated town in Wise County to have its own school district is Slidell. Located about a mile south of Farm Road 51 on Farm Road 455 just before you enter Denton County, Slidell is home to the Class 1A Slidell Independent School District.
Superintendent: Greg Enis
School Board Members: Tim Fletcher, Sam Dunlap, Kasie Maynard, Johnny Zuniga, Trumanell Maples, Steve Pruett and Camille Franklin.
In addition to having one of the top boys and girls basketball programs in the area, Slidell ISD also claimed the 2015 UIL academic state title and finished third in 2016.
Administration Office, No. 1, Greyhound Lane
Slidell High School/Junior High
Phone: 940-466-3118 ext. 2
Slidell Elementary School
Phone: 940-466-3118 ext. 3
Slidell is just a few miles from a couple of popular Wise County attractions.
Eagle Canyon Raceway, 7629 N. Farm Road 51 (between Decatur and Slidell)
Home to the area’s premiere road racing club. Its track is a 2.5 mile road course that features 11 turns, six straights and an elevation change of 70 feet. The track is designed for both fast cars and motorcycles.
Fossil Pointe Sporting Grounds (across the road from Eagle Canyon Raceway)
Thousands of sportsmen a year sight in riffles, hone pistol skills and blow away clays. The course is spread over expansive acreage that includes rolling hills, plenty of trees and wildflowers. Fossil Pointe also hosts a variety of events and allows several organizations like the Boy Scouts, 4-H, law enforcement and others to use the facility.
One of Wise County’s hidden jewels is Greenwood. You might feel like you’ve stepped back in time as you pull off Farm Road 1204 onto a tree-lined county road that leads into “Downtown Greenwood.”
At the heart of the community is the Greenwood Store, a popular lunch-time stop know for some of the best hamburgers and homemade pie in the county. The place is usually packed on Saturday nights when catfish and live music are on the menu. During the week, it’s not uncommon to see people sitting on the front porch playing dominoes or whittling.
The community hosts a couple of festivals each year.
The Greenwood Fall Festival held each October usually includes a parade, vendors and beans and cornbread. The festival is put on by the Greenwood Extension Education Club.
Greenwood-Slidell Volunteer Fire Department usually holds a fish fry fundraiser in conjunction with the event.
The Greenwood Homecoming takes place in June with a potluck dinner and visiting at the downtown pavilion.
The fire department includes fire stations in both Greenwood and Slidell.
Greenwood-Slidell Volunteer Fire Department
Fire Chief: Adam North
The students in the Greenwood area attend Slidell schools.
Park Springs is located in northwest Wise County. In the early 1900s, the town included three grocery stores, a bank, a feed store, an icehouse,a blacksmith shop and a school.
While all of it is gone now, current and former residents of Park Springs meet in the tiny community each year on the Sunday before Labor Day for the Park Springs Homecoming.
Nearest towns are Sunset in Montague County, Chico and Alvord.
Students in the Park Springs area attend Alvord or Chico schools.
In the northwest corner of Wise County is Crafton. The community once boasted six churches, a school complete with a library and auditorium, various drug and dry goods stores, cornmeal and flour mills, a cotton gin and a gas station.
Crafton Volunteer Fire Deparment
Fire Chief: Craig Cowley
Another nearby fire department also provides mutual aid to the area. Andy Sabo serves as fire chief of the Sand Flat Volunteer Fire Department.
The nearest town is Chico and students in the area attend Chico schools.
Cottondale is located a few miles south of Paradise on Farm Road 2123, about three miles west of Farm Road 51.
Cottondale’s history dates back to before the Civil War, when pioneers began settling in the southern part of what would become Wise County. The community prospered with the help of railroads and the Bridgeport coal miners. However, rail service was eventually lost in Cottondale when the Rock Island track was laid from Fort Worth to Boyd, before turning to Bridgeport.
Cottondale Volunteer Fire Department
Fire Chief: Jason Walker
The nearby Salt Creek Volunteer Fire Department often provides mutual aid. Ken Vise serves as Fire Chief.
Located on Farm Road 920 southwest of Bridgeport, Boonsville was first located along the bank of Boon’s Creek, named after Stephen Boon, a pioneer settler of Wise County. It was moved to its present site in 1882. It continued to grow, and by 1914, it had a population of 200, along with two general stores, a school, bank and steam gristmill.
Also located nearby on FM 920 southwest of Bridgeport, Balsora was originally called Wild Horse Prairie because of the herds of horses once found there. The U.S. government named the community when a post office was built April 14, 1894.
After closing on two occasions, it has remained closed since 1924.
Boonsville/Balsora Volunteer Fire Department
Fire Chief: Andy Wood